Friday, April 1, 2011

How do you solve a problem like Adelaide?

Pushing off
Pushing off during hard times.

Last time we left our fair heroine, Adelaide, she was feeling a little off. Thanks to a lot of your suggestions, I took her back into the bike shop.

I had a feeling this visit could go two ways:
1: They will find a problem and restore Adelaide to her full glory.
2. They will find nothing and I will be labeled a crazy lady.

After he had a chance to look at her, the bike guy told me that there were a couple of issues. "Vindication! I am not crazy!" I said out loud on the phone. The bike guy told me that Adelaide's back brake was too tight and that the cable for the shifter was stretched out. They fixed it and I could pick Adelaide up.

On the bike ride home, things were feeling good. Everything was just as I remembered them. I said to Adelaide, "We're back!" Then something funny happened. As we were going down hill I shifted to a higher gear, as you do, and then my pedals started spinning. "Hmmm," I thought, "That's not right." So then I shifted to what I thought was a lower gear and then I was able to find friction.

EUREEKA! They put the shifter on backwards. Well backwards for me. With the old plastic shifter, to go into first gear I had to move the lever toward me. With this new metal shifter, I have to move it away from me. What's more this new shifter has no number labels on it telling me what gear I am in, so I just assumed it worked the same as my plastic one by the same manufacturer. So here's the jist, all the troubles I've been having, has been because I was pedaling in 5TH GEAR THINKING IT WAS 1ST!

"Duh," says the crazy lady.

At least the bike guys found something to fix. They don't need to know about this little user error. Right?

PS - On my ride home, I saw a BMX-er totally biff it doing a trick on his bike in the middle of the road. I was the only one around and I shouted, "Are you alright?!" But he quickly got up, was too cool to admit he was hurt, and ignored me as I pedaled past.

18 comments:

Shannon said...

Yay! I'm glad that Addy (May I call her Addy?) is well again. My gear shift doesn't have any numbers either and sometimes I think that it's awfully dumb that it doesn't.

Carolyn said...

Shhh...we won't tell anyone that you're a crazy lady :)

inspiredcyclist said...

5th gear would be a difficult 1st gear. Can they fix it back to the original way so as to not confuse you? Glad you have her working well again!

Adam and Bri said...

you cray-cray. (in a super cute kind of way)

naturallycyclingmanchester said...

;) lol! But the important thing it's all sorted! Mad that the new shifter has no numbers on it though!! But I am sure in no time you'll be able to change gears with your eyes closed (well, ok don't close your eyes eh!!??) :D hugs! L xoxo

kateohkatie said...

That sounds like something I would do. No grief from me :-D

Jessica C--The Happy and Healthy Blog said...

That's so funny! I'm convinced mine is stuck in the hard gear, too. Particularly on big hills! Glad you got it worked out!

Trisha said...

Oh my gosh. I can see myself doing this exact thing. I'm glad you got it sorted out!

Marissa said...

Whoever would have thought???!!! (Snort- I can totally see me cussing and swearing trying to start out in 5th gear...hahah!)

Sue said...

You made my day ...that's something I would do, but I'm glad Adelaide is back to her normal riding self :)

Better Living said...

I never would have even thought that a shifter could be backwards! I think you get points for being smart, not having a "user error."

Nicola said...

This makes me glad that my bike doesn't have gears. I would have been way too stupid to work out what was going on.

knitseashore said...

You have/had numbers? Lucky girl. I can only shift my million gear bike by feel. Clicking handle only makes it harder. Clicking handle and silver lever thingy makes it easier. And this is how I ride. Please don't tell the mister. :)

P.S. I'm glad the bike shop guy was helpful. I've heard that sometimes they are not so nice to women cyclists, though I've only had good experiences myself.

Heidelweiss said...

Oh dear. That's right up my ally. I'm so glad Adelaide is working well again (or for the first time).

Dottie said...

Ha, ha. :) They will never have to know about the "user error."

Jacey said...

I'm so glad your bike's okay, and I'm glad there was something they had to fix!

Erin said...

This cracks me up. But more importantly, I am just glad Adelaide is okay.

Lap Dog Knits said...

I'm thinking the bike shop should hire you....love to hear about your adventures with Adelaide.
The baby cardigan - way WAY TOO CUTE...it's so much fun to see babies wearing hand knit clothing.