Friday, April 15, 2011

Waffles and bicycle corrals

Today was so beautiful, I decided to ride Betty somewhere for lunch. Then it hit me, it's been a while since I had a Bruges Waffle--the most delicious waffle in all of Salt Lake City, in my humble opinion.

Brugges Waffles and Frites

Another reason that I decided to go there was the waffle shop's new bicycle corral. These corrals have been popping up all over SLC. (You can read an article about them here.) Basically, they convert a parking spot previously used by one car into on-street bicycle parking for up to ten bicycles.

New bike corrals

With my helmet in hand, I ordered my waffle. (Which I got a discount for because of my Bicycle Benefits sticker on my helmet. Bicycle perks, yo!) I then told the owner of the waffle shop--who is Belgian, so you know the waffles are legit--that I'm using his new parking. He looked out the window, saw Betty, and then gave me a high five. He told me that he just got it put in yesterday. Later he came out of the shop as I was eating and proclaimed, "Look at all the bikes! My new parking is getting used!" He sounded very pleased and excited. I was thinking, "If you build it, they will come."

Belgium Waffle Lunch
Mmm...vanilla waffle with creme fraiche and fresh strawberries.

With these corrals and an announcement for a new Greenway (which is right on my commute), SLC keeps pedaling in the right direction.

15 comments:

Erin said...

Is that a dress made out of elephant/giraffe fabric? And yes, Bruges Waffles are the best.

Kara said...

Yes, Erin, they are. Giraffes are my spirit animal.

Krysta said...

Yea I can't wait to try out these waffles. My husband will swoon. Hopefully soon Provo will get to see some things like bicycle corrals, we are still fighting so hard to get lanes. (SLC has such wide roads) I can't wait to send this over to my husband I know they can use this as an example to get UTA on board in Provo. Yea for Bicycle Peeps in Utah!

Carolyn said...

Beautiful sunshine and waffles? Now you're just rubbing it in my face!

caknitter said...

I'll have one to go please. Delish!
Congrats on the bicycle perks.
The nearest Bicycle Benefits participant is about an hour from me. Drats.

Emma said...

I had the best waffles on a school exchange trip to Germany in the mid 90's. They were homemade by the family I was staying with and were served with a creamy, sweet sauce which, I later found out, turned out to be the waffle batter. Yum!

Kimberly Ann Petersen said...

My uncle is always telling us about that place. I'll have to come check it out some day when I'm no longer diabetic (22 weeks and counting!).

Chancy said...

Man, that waffle looks delish! I'm more than a little jealous.

Adam and Bri said...

um, yum.

and i'm loving your photos!

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

Great photos - that waffle looks so good! and the new corrals are an excellent idea. I don't drive so I am in favour of creating sufficient space to lock up bikes!

inspiredcyclist said...

Betty looks right at home in that corral! And the waffle looks yummy! How nice you have a great destination to end up at!

Nantucket Dreams said...

It is about time the us adopted these habits! In Europe bike parking is a huge thing! I love that you are taking advantage...yummy waffle!

Stacy said...

Oh my goodness, I WANT a waffle. Yum.

KnitPastis said...

I'm hungry for waffles with strawberries and whip cream now! LOL

Chocolates for Breakfast said...

you are making me hungry! do you know anyplace in utah that sells pearl sugar? brennan found a recipe for belgian waffles but needs that ingredient to make them the real deal!