Sunday, August 14, 2011

The Square Top

Guys, this week has been a toughie. So I was in need of a sewing project that was fast and kinda mindless. I found exactly that in this tutorial for an Super Easy Square Top.

So I grabbed this cute lightweight poppy fabric from my stash and whipped the top out in a single morning.

Square top untucked
Yoga pants and greasy hair...yup, sums up my sewing look.

My reaction is a mixed one with this top. Sometimes I catch it at certain angles and I think it is super cute, other angles it feels a bit wonky or maternity top-ish. I just think this is one of those tops that has to be styled just so to bring out its cuteness. Here's my attempt...

A new look

Square top tucked

I do think it looks pretty smashing with my vintage pink pleated skirt.

A couple things for me to keep in mind next time I make this. I think I would make the overall top a bit narrower but longer...so I'd start off with more rectangle pieces versus square ones. Also I would make my neck opening a little smaller.

My biggest issue with the neck is that I just guessed on the neck shape and as a result it is a bit wide and gapey. A part of me thinks I should put a pleat or a pin tuck on the neck in order to bring it in. Another part of me thinks that I should leave it be and just wear an undershirt with it...keeping its slouchiness in tact. What do you think?

A little gapeyness in the neck

26 comments:

Kat said...

You could do a pleat down the front kind of like on the sorbetto top from colette patterns. That would stop it gaping and would give it a nice touch but wouldn't detract from the pattern of the fabric. I love the fabric!

melanie said...

super cute with the midi skirt- very chic!

inspiredcyclist said...

I think it is bright, pretty, and cheerful. I like your idea of making it longer, because I imagine it would be a perfect style for over leggings! TFS! Sorry your week was tough : (

caknitter said...

I think it looks perfect. The beauty about making your own clothes is the ability to make it to fit you. I love it with the skirt.
Hopefully this week will be a less tough. :-)

Better Living said...

What great fabric! I think it's super-cute even "unstyled."

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

love the poppies!! and terrific photoshoot. I saw this tutorial too and think it is a great one.

Jill said...

Love it! I actually like the neckline but if the fit rather than the look is bugging you, I say a pleat would be great.

Adam and Bri said...

adore it! cute in person, cute in pictures.

snarkapuss said...

Adorable! I bet it would also look great belted right under the bust, over jeans or a straighter skirt.

Jacey said...

It's really cute! I know what you mean. I just made a skirt that I haven't blogged about. The waist is pretty loose, so it ended up looking frumpy. I need to fix it and haven't had the patience. Honestly, I like this top a lot. The fabric is awesome, and styled the way you have it, it's very flattering. I do think a little nip at the neckline might make you want to wear it more often, though.

Erin said...

I think it is adorable. Next time can we make together?

Julie said...

that is so pretty, I love the poppy design! great fabric choice.

Sara Kirby said...

This top is adorable on you! Great job :)

Anonymous said...

I love the top ! It looks nice tucked in or out. Very nice.

Carolyn / Twocables.blogspot.com

Carolyn said...

Oh, I love the idea of a pleat like the Sorbetto top, but I have to say that I think it looks great on you as is. And the print is so gorgeous and cheerful!
I hope things are going better for you this week :)

Durrett Family Band said...

Pleat would be cute but I love the way you styled it above. What a cheery print! When are you coming out here to teach me to sew?

Heidelweiss said...

I'm asking Santa for a sewing machine. That is IT.

Lap Dog Knits said...

The top is adorable....I really love it with the skirt and belt!
I'm not a seamstress so I don't know how you'd do it but a pleat would probably be just the ticket.
So fun for you to meet a new friend from blogland, she sounds fun!
Great pictures!!

ali said...

I love the fabric!! I like the shape, play with it a bit, and I think a tuck or shirt under would be fab.

Rachele Alpine said...

I like it! I'd totally wear it and I love that you made it in one morning! Hooray!

Allison said...

Very cute! I like the fabric you picked:)

KnitPastis said...

Such a cute top!

Yarny Days said...

How cute is that! A great fabric choice for that lovely top...

GIRL DATING NYC said...

You are so talented...AND stylish!!!

Nicola said...

I think it's really cute, I like it slouchy. I'm so jealous, when you have a bad week you still make a pretty top! I just want to crawl into bed and sleep: not productive at all.

Amy said...

ok, I'm starting a "copy-kara" list and doing all your projects. i'm your thyroid and crafting stalker.