Sunday, September 18, 2011

Toppity Top

Remember the quilty plan? Scratch that. I decided for this quilt that I would keep it simple...very simple.

8-inch squares. That's it.

I changed my mind after seeing this quilt. It was so simple, yet chic. And I thought this patchwork pattern would really show off the vintage-print fabric brilliantly. Plus, being my first quilt, keeping it simple is probably a very good idea.

After cutting up my squares, it was a matter of planning out their placement. Beds are very good for that.

Planning the quilt

Then, this weekend, I sewed together the quilt top.

Quilt top close up


Quilt top done

So, it's coming along. Now I just have to sew up the back and quilt it all together. Maybe a little hand stitching perhaps, a la Anna Maria Horner? So much for keeping it simple. 

19 comments:

Amy said...

Oh very nice! That's going to become an heirloom one day. I Think I'm going to dig mine out and work on it now!

knitseashore said...

Ohhh perfect for the new chilly weather! So cozy with a book.You go girl!

inspiredcyclist said...

It's going to be stunning! Looks like you got your groove back!

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

Wow!!! I have been thinking about you and wondering if you were still working on the quilt project. It is beautiful. It will be an heirloom. I know it.

Diane said...

Beautiful quilt top!

Kat said...

Nice work! I have made a pram quilt and I am planning a second one. Then after those I am going to try a full sized quilt. Yours looks great!

Jacey said...

Very awesome, Kara! I'm so excited you're diving in, and I know it will be a gorgeous quilt when you are finished. I still wish I had ought some of those divine fabrics when you first posted about them.

Chancy said...

Love it!

Erin said...

It looks fab Kara. This is going to be simply beautiful. (Get it? Simple?)

ali said...

I love it! beautiful fabric.

Adam and Bri said...

so dang pretty! love it.

Stacy said...

Looks great!

Harvest Kitchen Sisters said...

really really beautiful.

I feel inspired to make one myself.

nice work.

hks

Carla said...

Oh that is so lovely!! =D

caknitter said...

Fun! It's coming along so nicely. :-)

Kenoshia said...

Very pretty! The patchwork does show off the fabric better.

Melanie said...

It is looking so good. I can't wait to see it all finished!

KnitPastis said...

Wow, it's totally the same vibe as that quilt from Urban Outfitters! Simple is my motto. You really have taken well to sewing!

Durrett Family Band said...

What beautiful prints! I have an Urban Outfitters quilt on the guest bed much like the one from the link.