Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Vacation-ish

Tomorrow, my sister Erin and I will be taking our mom on her first trip to New York City. Erin and I will be there for 10 days, while my mom will be there for 5. Needless to say we are v. v. excited. 

Just imagining Mom, Erin and I seeing NYC via skates. Such fun!
(Source: Pinterest)
There will be shopping, sightseeing, plays, friends, and of course, food galore.

"But Kara," you may be thinking, "your sporadic posting of late has made it feel like you've already been on blog vacation." True. So to avoid my blog from going dark (Broadway term! I'm totally in the NYC state of mind), my goal is to do some mini-posts while out and about in the city. I have downloaded the blogger app on my phone, so I'm ready to post whenever it tickles my fancy. Fingers crossed it works.

There will be a couple of days in the city where I get to wander and explore on my own. Places on top of my list are:

Adeline Adeline
The BRAND NEW Orla Kiely store
My homegirl, Kate Spade
Purl Soho
The High Line
Brooklyn Bridge
Central Park (by bicycle)
And so much more.

What about you? Any other must-dos, NYC-lovers?

Aloha, my friends! See you in the Big Apple.

18 comments:

Trisha said...

Awesome! Say hi to Julie at Adeline Adeline for me! I finally checked out Brooklyn on my last trip to NYC and really enjoyed Smorgusburg and the Brooklyn Brewery. Momofuku Noodle Bar is also worth visiting, and Dottie and I had a blast dancing at Home Sweet Home. Can't wait to read about the great places you discover (an Orla Kiely store?!?).

Sara Kirby said...

Have fun at Purl! I loved it!

anniebikes said...

Bagels in Brooklyn! I know there must be awesome ones in Manhattan, but the best bagels I've ever had in my life were in Brooklyn.

Have oodles and noodles of fun with your sister.

Stacy said...

Have fun!!! I'm a wee bit jealous of your nice long vacation!

Jacey said...

Sweet! I'm taking some vacation time, too, although I'm not leaving the state. Have fun in NYC! I can't wait to hear about your trip!

ali said...

go to the fashion district and visit mood fabrics, you'll go crazy!

I've also always wanted to visit the lion brand yarn store, I know it's not the best yarn in the world, but the store sounds really cool.

Have so much fun! I can't wait to read all about it and see your pics.

Jeff said...

Have fun. And I'd recommend a late night out at fancy, big-city disco. You know you want to.

lisa said...

I love New York! I can't believe you get to go for 10 days!! That sounds amazing... have fun!

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

Ten days wow!!! I have been to NYC once and loved every moment. I look forward to your report! Have a safe trip and make lots of memories.

caknitter said...

Oh, I can't wait for the NYC mini-post.
Don't forget to stop by Dylan's Candy store. Not sure if you're into candy, but from what I've heard it's a must just for the candy adventure.

Judy May said...

Such fun! HAHAHAHAHAHA! I laughed so HARD when I saw that. It was, what I call, hilarious! I've never been to NYC or even the USA but I would go to see Wicked on Broadway. Have a grand time. :-)

Sigrid said...

Hey, nice background.... ☺

Hard to come up with one list, but here's what I can offer:
Madewell - Soho
Highway Bags - Soho
Antique Garage Restaurant - Soho (great for a late afternoon glass of wine and aps)
Chelsea Market+Highline (the highlight of my last trip)
Lotta Jansdotter - Brooklyn
MoMa of course
Neue Gallerie
Take the train along the Hudson up to Dia Beacon one day - should be gorgeous this time of year

Have fun! Can't wait to see your posts!!

Sue said...

Have fun! Been to NY many times and have eaten at the best restaurants. I love people watching and during our last visit I got to see Legally Blonde which was a great broadway show. Also the Brooklyn Bridge was v. cool and we ate at the famous GRIMALDI's pizzeria in Brooklyn. Enjoy!!

ty and megs said...

why does it surprise me your mom has never been to nyc!? have so much fun you gals! can't wait for the posts.

knitseashore said...

I always like the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and the store with the French language books in Rockefeller Center. LOVE the soft pretzels that are everywhere, esp. Grand Central.

Have fun!!

Maryse said...

Never been to NY although it's driving distance. Enjoy!!

Amander said...

Your sister always gave me good NYC tips. Hope you are having the most fun time!

Cec said...

Oh my gosh! An Orla Kiely store! So jealous!