Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Shangri-la (aka Adeline Adeline)



Now this is a bicycle boutique. It was so fun to come to a store filled will all my favorite bicycles: Pashleys, Retrovelos, Workcycles, and Abicis...oh my!



And of course there was the famous Kate Spade Abici looking as lovely as I imagined her. 


One of the best parts of my visit was trying out the Workcycles Oma in the 61 size. This was the other bicycle I was debating on purchasing before I bought my Pashley. So I took Oma down to the bike path by the Hudson and gave her a go. 


Look how little of the seat post is showing!

There's a couple things I noticed. I think the Oma's size fits me really well, which is slightly bigger than my Pashley. With the Oma I truly could get the "sit-up-and-beg" position. Also shifting gears on Oma is superior. I think the 8-speed Shimano Nexus hub totally kicks the 5-speed Sturmey-Archer hub's bottom. It feels so smooth and reliable to shift, which is not the case on my Pashley. One thing that the Pashley does have...style. I will always prefer the Pashley's look. She is just so darn good looking. 

Of course I could not leave Adeline Adeline empty handed. And I got a little swept up and splurged on a couple of things. 


First off, this basket:


I just love the style of it. It is hand-woven in Ghana and has so much personality. I think would go perfectly on Betty Foy or Libby. 

And then, I got this Yakkay helmet:


I know. It's kinda ridiculous, but I kinda love it! I think it combines my love of hats with my love of bicycles. Plus, it lets me show off my super power of looking good in hats while riding. 

PS - How cute will the herringbone look on Adelaide?

14 comments:

Ashley said...

Ohhhhh Oma has a 61? I sort of wish I did not know that. Hmm. NO. I un-know it. But I am jealous of your Adeline adventures!

Sigrid said...

Glad you got to go and interesting comparison. I actually think that is the same basket I wanted! Saw it in the nytimes a few months ago and ripped out the picture. Way to treat yourself!

inspiredcyclist said...

Awwww Kara, great purchases! Especially love the chic helmet.

anniebikes said...

I love the basket. I have a bag/basket fetish so I can totally relate.

Anonymous said...

did you feel the OMA cockpit to be a little cramped ? I think it might be the swept back handlebars whereas the Pashley's is a little shorter.

Kara said...

Anon...now that you mentioned it, I kinda did.

Steph said...

If you are going to have a super power, looking good in hats is a great one to have. It gives you the ability to do things like: enjoy a game of baseball, keep yourself shaded at the beach (thus guarding your face from wrinkles cause by the sun), and best of all, blend into the crowd at Ascot.

Love the helmet! Fashionable and life-saving, all at the same time!

anniebikes said...

Attach that gorgeous basket with leather straps with buckles. It would great that way.

Carla said...

Oh that store looks awesome!!! And your purchases are quite lovely.

Amy said...

Nice basket! Is this for the front or rear rack? I'd love to get the chance to test ride an Oma. From what I recall when I was debating between the Oma and Pashley, the smallest Oma frame would be just small enough for me. The Pashley was my first love, and being smaller worked out really well for lil' me!

Jeff said...

Kara, I love both of your purchases. The basket is really cool and will look brilliant on your bikes and the helmet is perfect. You really do need to find the perfect tweed ride.

Adam and Bri said...

you are ridiculous ... in a perfect, perfect way.

love that you found bike heaven!

Anonymous said...

I think that hat is AMAZING. - Mer

Titania said...

This is such a casablanca moment, "Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine." I was doing a google image search for yakkay helmets to see if I really liked it and I saw your image. I knew it was you right away! kara, it's Ingrid from freshman year. Love your blog, love your style, love you!