Thursday, December 8, 2011

Stockings Revisited

Norwegian StockingsBack in the ye olden days of 2006 (before this blog ever lived on Blogger), I knit some Norwegian Stockings.

Over the course of my knitting career, I have knit some things that never made the transition to my "real life." While these knits look great in blog photos and I gush about how much I love the outcome, eventually they end up on a shelf, never really meshing with my day-to-day ensembles (I cannot help but say that word with a faux French accent).

So it may surprise you, these stockings have avoided such a fate. Yes, these crazy, not very versatile, loud stockings are still in rotation all these years later.

Why? Because now and again, a little Norwegian flair poking out of your boots is just the right touch to an outfit. 

My fair isle socks out and about

15 comments:

Jax+Puzzle said...

Very cute! I've noticed lots of socks peeking out of boots this year, I may have to find some for myself :-)

lauren said...

YES! Those are fabulous stockings. It makes me happy that you've been wearing them for so long.

Amy said...

I just re-discovered my Norwegian stockings this past weekend! Shoved way back in the back of my sock drawer. Poor things never really got worn. Mostly b/c I knit them out of a wool/mohair blend which made them WAY too hot. I also never really liked the feel of the heel used in the patten. I've been considering knitting them again, only with more challenge this time: spinning and dyeing the yarn! We'll see if I ever get that far. :)

Carolyn said...

Kara, these socks are jaw-dropping gorgeous!

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

They are gorgeous !!, I can attest that they certainly are Norwegian, - at my family reunion in Bergaan, Norway in 2010 I saw some very similar stockings. I love, love them.

Shannon said...

Gorgeous!

Maryse said...

Nice socks! Great styling!

Jacey said...

Ooh, I agree! I love them, and your styling is flawless! Also, I'm impressed that you've been knitting with such expertise for so long!

Sara said...

These are gorgeous! Well done! I love good flair.

Erin said...

Why yes, that is exactly right. I am feeling the need to pull out my Nor Stockings and give them a little trip outside of my drawer.

ali said...

oh those are so cute!!

Adam and Bri said...

so dang adorable. can't wait to see them in person!

Kate said...

Beautiful socks! I know just what you mean with knits that don't make it into rotation. Some things just aren't as practical or useful as you think they'll be.

lisa said...

Kara, I can't believe that was in 2006 because I've been following you and your sister's blogs since then! Just a lurker back then, but I started knitting around the same time as you guys and became a knit blog junkie :) The socks are still beautiful and I wish I had the patience to knit something that detailed!

inspiredcyclist said...

WOWZA! I love these~and they look awesome with the boots! I have not yet been successful at knitting socks. Next time I attempt them, I know who to ask for tips! ENJOY them!