Wednesday, December 28, 2011

A year later

A year ago today, I had surgery to remove my thyroid and some lymph nodes due to cancer. I remember going into surgery feeling a little scared and unsure of what's next, but ready to get this disease out of me and move on. The following year has been interesting.

If I'm honest, there are many times this year that I've forgotten I had cancer. I feel very lucky for that. So many others have more difficult experiences--diagnoses and treatments that affect the rest of their lives. My "difficulties" this year have been trying to reach the right hormone balance, tiredness from time to time, and weight gain--all pretty trivial in the grand scheme of things. I have a feeling that in the next year,  I will continue to get closer to my new normal.

As of today, everything looks really good. My ultrasounds are clear. And if you will allow me a bit of vanity, my scar looks pretty darn fabulous. It clearly has a super power of invisibility.

I think this whole thyroid cancer thing was just a speed bump in my life. Definitely not a detour.

And now there's a much better reason to remember this day. The birth day of my new niece, Lydia.


Yup, this is what life is truly about.

20 comments:

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

Kara, I am so happy for you, here's to being cancer free (yeah!!) and Lydia is the perfect gal to celebrate with. Lovely photo of you both.

anniebikes said...

Oh miracle of miracles! A new baby to love. You'll be a great aunt. Get to knitting those booties and things!

Susan said...

So glad you're doing well Kara! Your positive attitude is inspiring. And babies with bows in their hair are the best kind of babies!

Jacey said...

kara, you are such a special person, and I'm happy this day (or yesterday) has new meaning. Lydia is adorable! Happy new year, dear friend!

Marissa said...

Congratulations!! This anniversary is clearly a day meant to celebrate life!!

Amy said...

My what a big yawn! Lydia doesn't seem to impressed with your story. ;) So happy for you! You beat cancer and got a lovely new niece!

Stacy said...

I'm so glad for you my friend! Health, happiness and new babies to hold.... yes, that is what life is about!

Carolyn said...

Kara, wishing you nothing but amazing health in the new year (and lots of snuggles with your new neice...what a cutie!)

Durrett Family Band said...

So much happy news! Love you!

Kat said...

Aww she is so cute! Glad to hear you have the all clear.

knitseashore said...

Congratulations on a healthy year, and hopefully you'll feel even better in 2012. Your niece is such a cutie...here's to sleepovers and shopping for cute dresses and lip gloss!! Lucky auntie and lucky niece!!

Denise said...

Congratulations, Aunty, she's beautiful! Here's to a healthy 2012!

Jill said...

Kara, you are one of my favorite people. Your style, flawless comedic timing, and ability to think of a song to fit every situation in life are just a few reasons why I feel blessed to know you. You are amazing. Insert hug. Lydia is fabulous. Of course she is!

Maryse said...

Life is full of surprises but mostly life is a fabulous gift! Happy Holidays Kara!

Amander said...

Aw, sweet baby Lydia. Can't wait to meet her.

And congrats to you for kicking cancer's butt!

inspiredcyclist said...

Oh Kara, Congratulations on your new niece, and on being cancer free! May God Bless you both, and best wishes for a happy, and healthy 2012!

Meredith said...

What a wonderful story and perspective! Thank you for sharing.

GIRL DATING NYC said...

Really beautiful post. You are so wonderful and wise! : )

Erin said...

Amazing what a year can bring. So glad for the things we are celebrating this year. Love you.

Kate said...

::love::

Cancer-free is the way to be :)

And your new niece is adorable! Beautiful baby with a beautiful name.