Saturday, January 28, 2012

Liberty Portfolio Tunic

I might have mentioned this before, but I LOVE Liberty of London fabric. But while I've slowly amassed a little Liberty fabric stash over the years, I've not really sewed much with it, afraid of "ruining" this gorgeous, spensy fabric with my imperfect sewing skills. But I did make that Liberty blouse last year, and that turned out. So it's about time to get the courage up to make another one, right?

Last week, on a very snowy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, I sewed up this tunic from one of my Lisette patterns using my Strawberry Thief fabric.

Liberty Portfolio tunic

Overall, I like it. But there are some issues. The Strawberry Thief print is so busy that you don't see a lot of the seaming details. Like can you see the placket detail?

Placket and sleeve

Or see the seam that swoops into the pockets?

Pockets

Hardly. I can barely see them when I am up close. But that isn't a deal breaker.

The last thing, the overall size is a little big, but I'm hoping it comes off like a Japanese-Stylish-Dress-Book-style tunic instead of an unflattering muumuu.

Me in Portfolio tunic

But despite all these imperfections, how can I not like, nay love, my own Liberty tunic?

Strawberry Thief Close-upHere are my tunic-ish stats...

Fabric: Liberty Strawberry Thief, F
Made for: Moi
Date Started: January 15, 2012
Date Completed: January 16, 2012
Mods: None

17 comments:

Kat said...

I think it looks great on you! The print/colour combo of the fabric is awesome. If you feel like it is too baggy you could always belt it around the waist. But i seriously think it looks great just the way it is.

Durrett Family Band said...

You are so talented! It looks v. cute on you.

I love the name strawberry thief. We have a couple of those around my place.

caknitter said...

It looks great on you and perfect for spring or any sunny day. :-)

Windybrook Spinner said...

It is absolutely fabulous on you! Nice sewing too.

Meredith said...

I like it! It looks great. I know what you mean about not wanting to mess up with precious fabric!

Better Living said...

It's GREAT! The color, the shape, the pattern matching on that print--it's all perfection. Be proud!

Trisha said...

You know, I think you HAVE mentioned the Liberty fascination. Once or 50 times. :) I love the tunic and am in awe of your sewing skills! Have I told you yet about the Liberty fabric trifold photo frame that I got at a flea market outside Paris?

Katrina said...

Yay for Liberty! That looks so great--not too baggy at all. Love that Strawberry Fields print, it's perfect.

Anna said...

Oh Kara, it looks really good!

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

Love!love!love. I made the portfolio (dress length) last year and after seeing how your tunic came out I am very tempted to bring out the pattern again. That print is gorgeous and it looks beautiful on you. Great photoshoot!

Judy-May said...

What a gorgeous piece! You are very clever. It's very stylish. ;-)

ali said...

very cute! I get scared of nice fabric too, but I've decided this year to get over that. What's better, a stack of really amazing fabric that sits in a closet, or a couple of great handmade things that you can wear?

Adam and Bri said...

oh, i love.

and you look beautiful.

Jacey said...

It's lovely! I'm so bad about hoarding fabrics, but I'm trying to be better about that. I only have a teeny tiny bit of liberty. This print is gorgeous!

Jill said...

No muumuu there. It was totally worth risking "ruining" the fabric.

Erin said...

It is too bad you can't see the sewn details better but the fabric and shape is so lovely I don't think it matters. Love it!

Carolyn said...

Oh, Kara, it looks awesome on you! And that fabric is gorgeous...I'm so glad you finally cut into it :)