Thursday, February 2, 2012

Little Red Riding Hood Ride

Yesterday I signed up for the Little Red Riding Hood Ride. It is an all-woman, non-competitive ride (about 3,500 participants) that takes place in scenic Cache Valley in northern Utah on June 2.

Although this is my first year participating, this ride has been going on for 25 years. It is so popular that all the spots were filled within an hour! (I feel very lucky I even made it in.) The point of the ride is for us Red Riding Hoods to defeat the "Big Bad Wolf" that is cancer--a portion of every rider's fee goes to the Huntsman Cancer Foundation for breast and ovarian cancer research.

So doesn't this all sound fun and grand? But guys, I might have done something a little crazy. While there are many available mile options for the ride, ranging from 18 to 100, I signed up to ride 80 miles. Yup, 80. 8-0. What was I thinking?! I have never done a distance remotely resembling that in all my life.

I guess I was hoping, by setting this goal, to force myself to get out and train this spring. To not sit on my laurels and let the biking opportunities pass my by. I must answer the call of the bicycle warrior: Pedal or die! (Too much?)

While I still find 80 miles v. v. intimidating, I have to admit, I am giddy with excitement and can't wait until Little Red gets here.

19 comments:

Jax+Puzzle said...

Yay, Kara! Looking forward to hearing about your training for this ride, and I am confident you'll be successful.

Caroline

Snowcatcher said...

I had never heard of this one, and it sounds like fun. Congrats on taking the plunge and signing up for something more difficult than you are sure you can do. You CAN do it! You don't have to ride a bunch of 80-mile rides in order to complete one. You have to be able to do 40, and that's a realistic goal and a typical ride for someone who likes to ride, so not that hard to work up to if you try. If you can do that and do it well, on ride day, you ride your 40, take a nice rest stop and enjoy some treats, stretch, socialize, then get back on the bike and do it again. If you do 40s regularly, you won't even be that sore the next day.

Good luck!!! (Great cause!!!)

Velouria said...

That is great news! Of course, you will need to sew a Red Riding Hood outfit for the ride...

Jill said...

This sounds seriously cool, Kara. Not only will you kill those 80 miles, you will do it in your signature, stylish way.

CassiLou said...

You will do awesome! I know it! You can do it!!!! Cheering for you all the way from Provo!

CelticCastOn said...

80 miles???? WOZERS!!!
Want to borrow T's cape?

Carolyn said...

You go, girl! That sounds like a blast!

Windybrook Spinner said...

You can do it! I honestly have no idea what it means to bike 80 miles, but it sounds fun and it is hard to beat the scenery in Cache Valley.

Anonymous said...

will you be riding the Pashley or the Betty Foy ?

Kara said...

Anon: I was thinking of riding Betty Foy. She was built for long distances. She thrives on them.

ali said...

you've got plenty of time to train! Good luck!

inspiredcyclist said...

Woooo Hooo Kara! You can do it! And think about a fun outfit to wear while you do!

Sue said...

Kara, I know you can do it! I'll be rooting for you all the way.

Amander said...

Oh, that Lydia is so sweet. And she looks so adorable in that hoodie!

Maryse said...

This is a grand objective! But since do a lot of bike, your muscles must already be much tougher than mine! Go go go!

Jacey said...

Holy cow! That is incredible, Kara. You can do it!! I'm so excited for you!!

Rachele Alpine said...

Wow! 80 miles! That's awesome! You rock! :)

Rachel said...

you are awesome! I also signed up but only for 60 miles. I know my limits :)... LRRH is the best bike ride in Utah... perfect way to start the summer. See you in Logan on June 2nd!

Heidelweiss said...

We can do this. We do, however, need to get going on long rides as soon as is reasonable. Or kind of reasonable. We'll rock this. ROCK this.