Saturday, March 10, 2012

Back in the saddle. And it's sore.

Here it is. The first bike ride of 2012. Although it snowed earlier this week, today was sunny and in the  glorious 50s. If I didn't take Betty out for a ride, I might've had a bicycle revolt on my hands. So to avoid an accidental spoking in my sleep, I took Betty up to the bike trail by my brother's house.

Snow on the mountains but perfectly pleasant in the valley.

As you may surmise, I am not a winter cyclist. And today I felt what sitting out a whole season can do. The legs were sluggy and the rump was sore. Yet despite this, I still was so happy to be riding again.

What's more, any time I got a little tired, I only had to look down at Betty. She would tell me in her own way, "Take heart! You got this."

Tired, but Betty says, "Take heart!"

While the ground is still brown from winter, the view of the snowy mountains made this ride lovely and scenic.

Back in the saddle again. And it's sore.

Doing the 15 or so miles today was a good first step to get back into my bicycling lifestyle. But it did make it clear that I have a long way to go before I am ready for those 80 miles in June. Sigh.

Now I leave you with another awkward video from the bike trail. (I really have to work on those "ums.")

18 comments:

Steph said...

Loved the video, it was so nice to hear your voice! And I'm sure you'll be back in shape soon!

Adam and Bri said...

That video is so freaking cute.

Kat said...

what a gorgeous view for a bike ride. And your bike is freaking adorable!

Jacey said...

You are so cute. I'm glad you enjoyed a ride. Your next one will be easier.

Snowcatcher said...

I enjoyed seeing your real life you, too. Congrats on getting back in the saddle so early! It is difficult this time of year, but you did it!

Carolyn said...

Those views are gorgeous! And I'm so glad that your bike will not be attacking you :)

Erin said...

You are adorable. And you are going to rock those 80 miles.

Lap Dog Knits said...

Love the pictures and video...

It's fun to hear your voice!!

Have a told you about a million times yet how much I LOVE your bike?

Happy peddling....

Heidelweiss said...

Is Betty ready? She's so gorgeous (as are you). Looks like rain this weekend. Lame. We may need to ride anyway because if we don't, 80 miles may kill us.

La Mañosa said...

15 miles on your first ride of the season? You are hard core! :) I think I did two or three. :) Happy cycling!

lisa said...

Fun video and I have no doubt you will totally rock those 80 miles! Beautiful photos of your pretty bike with the scenery!

caknitter said...

Undercover Sporty, love it!
81 miles? No problem, you can do it!
Has anyone ever told you, you sound a lot like Ivanka Trump? No? Okay, it's just me.
Keep on biking!

knitseashore said...

You go, girl! It's always hard to take that first winter-into-spring ride, which is probably why I haven't done it yet. :)

You'll be back to the cycling lifestyle in no time. Do you wear cold weather gear, or just your regular coat?

Rachel said...

I'm with ya sister. I rode 14 miles this weekend and while my fingers were numb from the cold (Heber is still cold) I was so happy to be on the bike again! Happy riding.

strikk handknits said...

what a gogeous bicycle and what a gorgeous ride. wow! very jealous. london never looks like that ;-)

Dottie said...

Undercover sporty!! I love the videos. :)

Betty is the best, so encouraging and loving, when she's not considering murder-by-spoke.

The trail you have there is so gorgeous. Every time I see it, I just think, wow.

Ulrika in Sweden said...

Awesome landscape to go riding your bike in. And I like your video. :-)

anniebikes said...

I'm glad you're back - butt sore and fancy free!