Saturday, July 28, 2012

The T-shirt bag

Paper or Plastic? How about a t-shirt?

I don't know about you, but I've got a lot of t-shirts. Piles of them. But what to do when you just don't wear them anymore or have outgrown them? Many hold sentimental value so I can't bring myself to get rid of them. But then I came across this tutorial on transforming a t-shirt into a grocery bag. Perfect! 

First, I picked a tee.

T-shirt before

Then I cut off the sleeves and the collar.

Making the cut

Sleeveless and collarless

And sewed up the bottom.

T-shirt bag

Voila! A kickin' new grocery bag and "green" to boot! They were so easy, I made a gaggle of them. Yes, a gaggle of baggles.  

A gaggle of bags

Now comes the easy part, shopping to fill them up. 

15 comments:

Amanda said...

That is such a cool easy project. My 11 year old sister just got her first sewing machine a few days ago and we have been working on easy projects and this we are going to try :)

Amy said...

Aaaahh! Those are great! I had tons of old tees up until about 2 months ago when I gave them all away. Figures I find lots of fun projects for them AFTER I get rid of them! :)

anniebikes said...

What a sassy way to use old t-shirts.

I've also seen folks sew quilts with their favorites.

I don't have enough t-shirts to use for rags for cleaning all my bikes so I ultimately raid my kids dressers.

Oh dear. I so love that black one with the bicycle...

Erin said...

Oh some favorite t-shirts in there! Glad you found a way to keep them alive'

Windybrook Spinner said...

Cute tees. What a fabulous idea! I love it.

Jacey said...

So fun! This is a super great thing to do with loved tees. Hope you're doing well, K!

lisa said...

Such a cute idea! It's hard to get rid of sentimental t-shirts but I don't wear them often so I may have to steal this :) I love your "craft lady" bag!

Adam and Bri said...

it's kind of ridiculous how cute you are.

Dottie said...

Neat idea! I have several t-shirts that I never wear, but I can't get rid of due to nostalgia, so this would be a great use for them.

ali said...

Love those!

Jessica Cassity--The Happy and Healthy Blog said...

You are the cutest! I'll be turning some Ts into bags come craft season (aka winter)!

knitseashore said...

What a great idea!

By the way, I was thinking of you yesterday (rode my bike for the first time in months!) and was wondering if you know The FredCast bicycling podcast? David lives in Utah and I believe he runs or at least rides in the MS rides. You might enjoy his podcasts.

Aunt Spicy said...

totally genius!

Mike and Mackenzie Day said...

Where have you been? I miss reading your words...

Andrea Rangel said...

So clever! What a great way to re-use stuff. Thanks for sharing the idea!