Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Big changes. Big Apple.

Well, I've got some news. Pretty big news, in fact.

"Out with it," you say! Fine. At the end of December, I'm moving to New York City.

I know. It's crazy.

I guess for a little while I've been feeling like my life is a bit like the movie Groundhog Day. Just me living the same day over and over. Don't get me wrong, for the most part it is a good day (and sometimes it's an awesome day). But I have this feeling that it's time to take another big leap into an adventure.

So my last trip to NYC I came back with a big souvenir: a job offer. I'm really excited about it. It is going to let me do what I do in a great office with great people in a super great city.

There are many, many reasons that this move is bittersweet. I can't even talk about how much I'm going to miss my family. Too many feels. (I'm not gonna cry...I'm not gonna cry...too late.) And how much am I going to miss my friends? Like ridonculous amounts. And my flat too. My darling, darling flat. But sometimes, you need to go when it gets too comfortable to stay.

I have to admit, I'm usually not an inspirational quote kinda gal, but this really resonated with me at this moment.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sale away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain (or maybe H. Jackson Brown)

So I am going to have to ask for your patience with this blog for the next month or so, I have some bowlines to throw off.

23 comments:

Erin said...

Way to make me cry Kara-lara. I am going to miss you sister. So much. But still so happy for you. Just make sure you buy an air mattress soon. (or as you should start calling it "Erin's bed.)

Susan said...

This sounds so fun! I wish I was this brave, to move away and be excited about it. Best of luck in your new city!

Jodi said...

Congrats, Kara! What great news. Wishing you all the best with the move and the new job.

Steph VW said...

Congratulations! How exciting!

I hope that you find a wonderful new flat with plenty of room for your bikes, your crafts and all the love that your family will surely send with you.

Jax+Puzzle said...

Kara, what a wonderful adventure! I hope you (and your bikes!) love it in NYC, and am looking forward to hearing all about it!

Stacy said...

I'm so excited for you!!!! Woohoo! And guess what - I'm an hour train ride away. Maybe we could do a little bloggy meet-up sometime!

Happy Thanksgiving!

sula said...

Hurrah for you! Every Jane Austin heroine benefits from a change in scenery from time to time--as long as you are properly chaperoned, ha ha.

(also,just this morning I was thinking, I'd like to know what those knitting sisters are up to these days!)

Kat said...

Yay! How exciting. It's always nice to have a change. Best of luck with the move and I can't wait to see some posts from her new home.

Laurel said...

i just could not be more:
a) happy for you
b) jealous
c) happy for you
d) jealous

xoxo

Anonymous said...

will you be taking both bikes with you?t

anniebikes said...

How exciting! I wish you the best and will be looking for NYC posts from you in the near future.

Where oh where will you store bikes in a tiny apartment? On second thought, the beautiful machines could become wall art...as long as they get ridden periodically.

my hyggelig said...

congratulations Kara! change is growth is hard is good. best wishes to you in your new adventure!!!

Judy-May said...

Fabulous! I'm jealous. I know I live in Malaysia and really have no right to complain but dude you're moving to NYC! That's amazing. There's so much stuff to do there! And Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. Said someone smarter than me. Good luck! I can't wait to hear about your adventures!

Melissa said...


Congratulations! I love that quote and I love that you've decided to live it!

Mackenzie said...

Very exciting. You won't regret. Our 9 years there changed our lives forever. Let me know if I can help in any way...xo

caknitter said...

Wow, Kara, you are my hero! Congratulations on the new job. And the move to New York City, awesomeness!

Jacey said...

I'm really excited for you and your new adventure. I know it's scary, but I admire you for taking a leap. I know your family is strong enough to be apart for awhile. And as Erin said, I bet you'll have visitors. yay, Kara!

Amander said...

So cool. What an amazing opportunity.

I expect mad amounts of blog posts about your new fun adventure.

Sara said...

Hey, congratulations! Very exciting. I myself just moved to Colorado. This is just a perfect time for transitions!

Necia said...

Congratulations! NYC is awesome as far as cycling goes. Plenty of bike lanes, and lots of great social cycling groups. Perhaps we will get to meet when you get settled.

knitseashore said...

Kara,

Congratulations! I hope the move goes smoothly and you enjoy your new job. Once you get settled, maybe we can meet up for a visit!

lisa said...

This is SO SO exciting! How fun it's been to follow along with your many adventures on this blog :) Congrats on the new job, you are doing what seems like the coolest thing ever- moving to NYC!

Mike and Mackenzie Day said...

Can I just tell you how much I miss your blog and just you in my life in general. Please start writing again... miss you! xoxo